I received an email today that I thought would be a good way to illustrate some of the ways that spam works. I took a screen shot of the email.
Here are clues that tell me this is spam:
- “We discovered your internet site…” Odd language.
- “Keep this top secret…” This should raise red flags. If they really have a product that can make money, it wouldn’t be secret.
- “A MAJOR stur…” Spelling errors make me suspicious.
- “The ‘make money’ community…” Oddly ambiguous. More odd language.
- “We’re not charging anything…” Then it’s too good to be true. If they really have a product that can make money, it wouldn’t be free.
- “Simply follow the link…” This is always to call to action. They want you to click on the link. But the link will take you to a place where either your computer will get a virus, or they can find more information they can use from your computer.
Do not be suckered in. Delete the email immediately. Don’t even look at it!